From drones to Customer Relations Management software, the construction industry has opened its arms to the use of IT hardware and software for a lot of uses. Companies that embrace technology has a clear competitive advantage over companies still doing things “the old school way.”
In 2014 and 2015 the number of construction companies with a dedicated IT section remained statistically even. Based on the survey results, it appears that the larger the company, the greater the likelihood that the company has its own IT department. It could be that company size or revenue is behind this. One way for small and medium-sized construction companies to overcome their lack of an IT department is to use cloud-based services as their IT department in the sky (cloud computing) using managed IT services.
Benefits of Cloud Computing for Construction Companies
- Cloud computing is economical – software costs are billed as a service on a monthly basis. This allows a small or medium sized construction company to expense the subscription charge and not have to amortize it if they bought the software outright. In addition, all you need is a way to reach the internet to access your cloud-based programs and data; this saves hardware acquisition costs as well as waiting long periods for amortization. The provider maintains your programs and data on their hardware and includes your use of it in your monthly expenses.
- Cloud computing is portable – since construction is a mobile business with some people at the office and some in the field, managed IT services in the cloud are a great fit for collaborating with business associates and project partners.
- Scalability is another advantage of cloud computing and managed IT services. Adding users means adding another subscriber which is generally less expensive than adding hardware and obtaining an additional user license.
- Security – there is no need for you to keep security patch updates as part of your office’s responsibility. Your IT solutions provider will do that and most likely better than you can.
- Managed IT services help automate marketing tasks for your construction company.
Some Examples of How IT Improves a Construction Firms Competitiveness
- The first thing that modern managed IT services brings to a construction company is easy collaboration on plans, change orders, supply ordering and more. When everyone sees the identical information it keeps all on the same page. This improves a firm’s competitiveness as other small or medium-sized construction companies may not have similar services.
- This makes the use of a tablet easy and workers in the field no longer need to lug a ton of paperwork such as plans, inspection forms, drawings, and accident reports. All are easily recalled by the tablet from wherever they are stored.
- Managed IT services help improve competitiveness through a better quality construction project and cost-savings. High-quality work at a competitive price always increases sales. Better quality is a welcome side-effect of collaboration by all stakeholders; high quality through collaboration leads to cost savings that cause higher profits.
- The cloud and managed IT services gives small and medium-sized builders the same kind of technology that global giant construction companies enjoy through their in-house IT departments.
- Cloud computing allows for a balance between back-office functions such as payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing with field tasks such as project inspections or incident reporting as well as meetings in client offices.
- Small and medium-sized construction companies can utilize managed cloud IT services to gain a competitive presence with other larger construction companies.
- Companies that embrace cloud technology and subscription services complete jobs with higher than average quality.
- Companies achieve this enhanced quality at lower cost.
Race Computer Services is the trusted choice when it comes to staying ahead of the latest information technology tips, tricks, and news. Contact us at (973) 343 or send us an email at -5479[email protected] for more information.